Finally back on the motorcycle and riding. I left Memphis early in the morning to try and beat the heat. Fortunately, I was leaving the city because the traffic was intense as was the mounting heat. I crossed into Mississippi pretty quickly along US-72.
It quickly became very hot. I took a picture of one of the roadside thermometers. If accurate, it is my new record knocking out 103F in Mississippi. A few other signs also showed 100F+, so I feel like it might be. I stopped a lot again. It was a tough ride.
When passing through Huntsville, AL, I saw the US Space and Rocket Museum along I-565. More exactly, I saw the rocket above from a ways out. I excitedly exited the interstate.
I was looking for a spot to stop, and this was going to be great! So much cool stuff to look at!!
An SR71 blackbird. Such a cool plane. I had one hanging from my ceiling when I was younger. I’ve seen one before, but I still get a thrill seeing them.
An entire building devoted to the Saturn V rocket. Amazing how big it is.
Lots of other neat rockets engines where in there as well, and other rockets behind the building.
A moon rock retrieved from the Apollo 12 mission.
I had a great time gawking at all the cool space stuff while enjoying the air conditioning. I was sad to move back into the oven also known as outside.
It was a short ride the rest of the way to Chattanooga. I am hoping the mountains tomorrow will lead to cooler temps.
A decent 300 mile day covering TN, MS, AL, GA, and back to TN. Tomorrow, I hope to bag that pesky 49th state: SC.
- YouTube Playlist: Road Trip 2015
- Road Trip Day #10–Iowa, Minnesota, and Home
- Road Trip Day #9–Indianapolis MotoGP
- Road Trip Day #8– Part 2/2 Motorcycles on Meridian
- Road Trip Day #8– Part 1/2 IndyGP and Motorcycle Motorcycle Midway
- Road Trip Day #7–Indianapolis
- Road Trip Day #6–More Mountains!
- Road Trip Day #5–Mountains FTW!
- Road Trip Day #4–Memphis to Chattanooga
- Road Trip Day #3–Memphis, TN
- Road Trip Day #2–MO to TN
- Road Trip Day #1–MN to MO