I’ve spent a lot of time lately playing with my new GoPro HD. Probably too much time. Ever since I received my GoPro a few weeks ago, I have been wanting to do something with the base of the original packaging. It is a base for attaching the camera just like the others in the kit.
Here is a video showing what NOT to do with the GoProHD:
YouTube: The wrong way to mount a GoPro HD to a Super9
I had the idea to modify mine after reading about someone else who attached theirs to a kite.
2) Use the drill to make four holes in the base.
3) Run a long piece of nylon rope through the holes to make an X pattern on your back.
4) Attach the GoPro HD to the DIY chest mount with the vertical clip
5) After some quick testing, I determined a small piece of paper needed to be stuffed under the clips to prevent rattling. The connection between the base and the clips isn’t quite perfect. Because we used the vertical clip above, we can’t use the orange rubber stopper that comes with the camera for this purpose.
6) Put it on and go make some video!
Here is the video showing the DIY chest mount:
YouTube: DIY GoPro HD Chest Mount
UPDATE: I was frustrated with the lack of flexibility for this mount and eventually bought the GoPro Chest Mount. This could be improved with nylon webbing and velcro instead of rope and slits instead of holes.