Mountains! Finally! Day five was one of the shorter mileage days, but much more saddle time. I spent most of the day in third and four gear instead of grinding away in sixth. A very nice change.
I took the Cherahola Skyway as I did in 2010. It was cool and sunny. It was great!
I had the road to myself most of the time with very few cars or motorcycles in view most of the time. It was a nice Zen time. The cool breeze also helped.
Some sample views of the road.
I stopped at most of the overlooks to enjoy the views and eat a snack.
Mandatory motorcycle shot.
I really enjoyed looking at all the greenery.
After the skyway, I found a secluded dock on a calm body of water to relax and eat more snacks. North Carolina is very beautiful.
I skipped the “dragon”. Too many other road users and I feel like a bit overhyped. All of the other roads in the area are similar, but without the traffic.
I enjoyed Hwy 28 immensely. I think it followed a couple different rivers. One of them had rafters. It was fun to watch them going by.
Finally, my 49th motorcycled state: South Carolina.
I really enjoyed my time in North Carolina today. It was over 9 hours and 300 miles of twisty roads looking like the above. Most of the time I was completely alone. It was great.
- Great River Ride – Day 13 – Cherohala Dragons
- YouTube Playlist: Road Trip 2015
- Road Trip Day #10–Iowa, Minnesota, and Home
- Road Trip Day #9–Indianapolis MotoGP
- Road Trip Day #8– Part 2/2 Motorcycles on Meridian
- Road Trip Day #8– Part 1/2 IndyGP and Motorcycle Motorcycle Midway
- Road Trip Day #7–Indianapolis
- Road Trip Day #6–More Mountains!
- Road Trip Day #5–Mountains FTW!
- Road Trip Day #4–Memphis to Chattanooga
- Road Trip Day #3–Memphis, TN
- Road Trip Day #2–MO to TN
- Road Trip Day #1–MN to MO