This past Wednesday, I rode a 2001 BMW R1150GS. I wasn’t seriously looking for another bike, but I kept a search open on craigslist just for fun. I had seen this bike listed a few times over the last few weeks. When the price came under $4,000, it became interesting.
The posting described the bike as well used, but well maintained. It had recently been inspected and all the fluids changed, but it needed some TLC. Did I mention it also had 104,000 miles? Well, that is what was on the odometer. The speedo cable was broken, so it might actually have a couple more miles than that.
The Bad: right rear turn signal not working, left front turn signal missing, two small holes in rear seat, bald rear tire, broken speedo cable, mismatched non-functional extra driving light on the right side, sounds like it needs a valve adjustment, right sidecase is slightly damaged (I think I can fix it), and too many stickers!
The Good: The engine seems to run well, the charging system was inspected, all fluids changed (clutch, oil, brakes), good front tire, good brakes, ABS works?, right side driving light works, no apparent major damage, upgraded foot pegs, upgraded handlebars, upgraded seat, comes with luggage ie: tank bag, top case, bmw side cases (covered in stickers), extra tools in on case, bike cover in another case, powered gps ram mount (no idea which GPS), upgraded horn, heated grips, battery tender cable, and heated gear cable.
After the test ride, I called the owner and we talked. The bike wasn’t stored at the owner’s house, but at a friends. There was a divorce and she was selling her ex’s bike. We finally agreed on a price, and I met her the next afternoon to complete the title transfer.
She drives an art car:
I picked up the bike on Friday night and stayed up until 1am fixing problems with the bike.
I replaced the bulb in the rear turn signal.
I made an old stock turn signal from the SV650 work on the BMW. The dremel really helped. It mostly matches.
I removed the GPS mount as it was in my way, and I don’t have that GPS (nor do I know which one the mount is for)
Fixed some cable routing.
Replaced the broken speedometer cable.
Started removing stickers, but still have a ton to go. I need to get the hair dryer out!
Saturday morning I had a new tire installed, and took it out for a ride. It’s fun in the sand! >:)
Now I need to get the site updated with the new bike!