This post will document installing half of the Hella Supertone Horn on my 2001 SV650. I used to have them on my WRX, but one horn failed. I decided to put the working one on my SV650 to replace the stock 105db horn with the 118db Hella. The red Hella compliments the color of the bike too.
Hella vs. the stock horn:
Tools I used:
The install is easy. Remove one and install the other.
1) Disconnect the wire holding the stock horn
2) Using the 13mm wrench, unbolt the stock horn.
3) Using the 13mm wrench, bolt up the Hella Horn.
4) I found it necessary to cut the little plastic connector in half to get the OEM contacts to spread wide enough.
5) Connect the OEM horn contacts
6) With hearing protection, test.
7) Use your new horn responsibly. :)
The horn doesn’t cover as much of the radiator as it looks. I installed this on my SV650 in March of 2010. I rode all year and didn’t experience any overheating issues. I even rode all day in 105F two-up without trouble.
Here is a short video demonstrating the sound difference: