We rode 293 miles from Madison to Minneapolis on I-94W today. I had forgotten how beautiful the scenery in Wisconsin was.
We both enjoyed the ride back, and no one fell asleep.
We left Madison earlier than usual, so we could beat the rush hour traffic in Minnesota. It was a nice change.
The closer we got to Minnesota the warmer it seemed to get until when we arrived it was 90F and humid. Before the trip riding in 90F was hot! Now, it just feels warm since hot as been redefined thanks to Mississippi.
We stopped at a rest stop claiming to have a scenic overlook.
We parked the bike next to a BMW 1200GSA. I think our bikes match:
and started walking,
We didn’t realize how far we had to walk! It was a nice break, but she should have put up a sign to warn us: “15 minute walk up a large hill ahead”.
This was our reward. We both felt like they could trim the trees slightly. Not sure if it was worth it.
On the way back down, we took these shortcuts which made the trail much shorter. I wish we would have used them going up!
Leaving the rest stop, we saw three other bikes including this Gold Wing that was over packed. He has two large airplane suitcases strapped on to the back. One on the seat and one on the top case. Of course just using a couple bungees.
The first sign we saw that St. Paul was getting closer:
Crossing the St. Croix River into Minnesota:
Our first sight of St. Paul downtown
We stopped in St. Paul for lunch and tea. It was nice to walk into restaurant and hear “Oh Hi! Would you like your usual?” I forgot how good their Chai was. yum.
I decided that the trip wouldn’t be quite complete without ending it by riding along the Mississippi River again.
Minnesota really has the best Mississippi River scenery.
The last bridge over the Mississippi River on the Great River Ride.
One last glimpse of downtown Minneapolis.
There will probably be one or two more posts in this series.
- Great River Ride – The Plan
- Great River Ride – The Bike Prep
- Great River Ride – Day 1 – To Park Rapids, MN
- Great River Ride – Day 2 – The Mississippi Headwaters
- Great River Ride – Day 3 – Leaving Minnesota
- Great River Ride – Day 4 – Iowa
- Great River Ride – Day 5 – Into Missouri
- Great River Ride – Day 6 – Five States in One Day
- Great River Ride – Day 7 – Memphis and Mississippi
- Great River Ride – Day 8 – Louisiana
- Great River Ride – Day 9 – Rain and the Gulf
- Great River Ride – Day 10 – Mobile & Pensacola
- Great River Ride – Day 11 – To Birmingham
- Great River Ride – Day 12 – Sweet Tea and Sweetwater
- Great River Ride – Day 13 – Cherohala Dragons
- Great River Ride – Day 14 – In Threes
- Great River Ride – Day 15 – OH-555 and AMA Museum
- Great River Ride – Day 16 – US-30
- Great River Ride – Day 17 – Leaving Indiana
- Great River Ride – Day 18 – Chicago and Sojourner
- Great River Ride – Day 19 – Madison to Minneapolis
- Great River Ride – Reflections