Every week, I try to look over the Ural and check the common things to make sure I don’t have any problems while on the road. For example, this week I did:
- put 2-3lbs of air in each tire
- a couple loose spokes on front and one on cart
- compliance fitting on left carb was loose
- tightened fuel line at petcock
- front tire is cupping slightly 8.5-10.5mm of tread in center
- pusher tire is 6.5-7.5mm of tread in center
- cart tire is 10-11mm of tread in center
- oil was down 1/4"" on dipstick added 20w50 to full
I also keep the above notes in a google docs spreadsheet. Every bike has it’s own tab where I track each detail of each bike.
This helps me keep on top of how things are changing. The tire tread depths for instance, let me guess on when I should order new tires. My K335s have just over 1000km on them and the pusher is half gone.
The goal is to stay proactive and out in front of any potential issues, so I can spend more time riding and less time wrenching.
The SBC is more fun/silly tan the PBC. The goal is to find signs that spell out “Solar Bear” Make a video of the sign and then walk/run/dance/skip/etc around the sign or your bike while chanting “Solar Bear”. Of course all of this on video, an audience is encouraged. :) It was more fun than I expected.
I found my first sign yesterday for the letter “S” and included it in my latest PBC video #12.